Monday 2nd of September 2019, 9am – 1pm
Don’t judge a Book by its Cover:
Weight Stigma, Health and the Weight Inclusive Approach in Action
The Upper Yarra Body Image Group is delighted to invite you to a morning of thought provoking presentations and conversations about the benefits of the Weight Inclusive Approach to public health policy, practice and outcomes.
Sometimes our culture can objectify and judge our bodies and expect perfection. At the same time we have well intentioned, but often stigmatising messages about the risks of obesity. It’s not surprising that people feel confused and distressed about body weight and shape issues. Growing evidence supports the view that our focus on weight and weight loss can lead to stigma, poor body image, unhealthy dieting, eating disorders and/or weight gain.
The Weight Inclusive Approach focuses on health enhancing behaviours across the weight spectrum and the creation of environments that value and nurture health in all bodies. Research shows that people with high levels of body esteem engage in more health promoting practices.
Date: Monday 2nd of September 2019
Time: 9am-1pm (Please arrive by 8.45am so we are ready to begin at 9am)
Place: Lilydale Lakeside Conference and Event Centre, Jarlo Drive, Lilydale
Who is this event for?
Professionals & managers working in the community, health & education sectors, policy development, allied health, community leaders, fitness professionals, local government, mental health workers, youth workers, interested community members.
- Fiona Willer (Advanced Practicing Dietitian): Unpacking Weight Science.
- Jenny Jackson (CEO of EDVOS): Objectification of women, gender equity & violence against women.
- Dr. Carolynne White (Health Promotion Lecturer at Swinburne University): Weight inclusive approach in action – The Biggest Winner
- Dr. Natalie Jovanovski (Sociologist and Lecturer at Swinburne University): Weight paradigms of health
- Dr. Jenny Conway (GP & Eating Disorder Specialist) The body image & eating disorders picture in the Yarra Valley
- Tracey Higgins (Dietitan & Health Promotion, Inspiro) and Jo Stanford (Manager of Family and Community Services, Eastern Health Community Health): Non-diet approaches in practice
- Lived experience of weight stigma
- Panel discussion with Q&A: Where to from here? Our Panel of Experts will include presenters and feature Danni Rowlands, National Prevention Manager – The Butterfly Foundation and Rebecca Lister, Education Coordinator – Eating Disorders Victoria.
A delicious morning tea will be provided.
To register please go to (before 19/8/19): https://www.trybooking.com/BCVMB